Monday, January 28, 2013

My comment was pro-Dalit, I still stand by it: Ashis Nandy

My comment was pro-Dalit, I still stand by it: Ashis Nandy

Rajdeep Sardesai, CNN-IBN | Jan 28, 2013 at 03:35pm

 

 

 




New Delhi: Sociologist and political psychologist Ashis Nandy defended his statements on Dalits and other backwards classes saying he stood by what he said and that he apologised only to those who were hurt by his statement. Speaking to IBN18 Editor-in-Chief Rajdeep Sardesai, Nandy said, "I don't feel hounded. I stand by what I said. If people listen to my full statement carefully, it was actually pro-Dalit. I apologised to those who were hurt by my statement."

Nandy also said that corruption was seen in Dalits, OBCs and Adivasis because they say it as an 'equalising force'. "Elite corruption can easily be hidden whereas Dalit corruption makes a splash," he added.

He also added that intolerance has grown in the Indian society. "Jaipur Literature Festival is not a public forum, it's not a parliament. One can't criticise a Dalit leader today, this is a price we have to pay for democracy," he said.

When asked about National Commission for Scheduled Castes Chairman PL Punia's demand for Nandy's arrest, the sociologist said, "By seeking my arrest they are only indulging in dangerous games."

No comments: